Small Package Freight 101: Test your knowledge
Think you know everything about small package freight? You might be surprised at what you don't know. And when it comes to negotiating shipping contracts, what you don't know CAN hurt you.
Below are a few “Intro 101”-level questions to test your base of knowledge on small package freight. If you are unable to correctly answer any one of these questions, you are a potential PMG client. We can likely find major opportunities to reduce your freight expense. Find out by contacting PMG for a free, no-obligation analysis.
- What does FAK stand for?
(Answer: Freight All Kinds)
- What type of incentive discount is better: custom or tier?
- For inbound shipments from your suppliers, is it best to instruct them to ship “best way”?(Answer: Absolutely not!)
- How many accessorial charges are there? 10, 30, 60 or 80?
(Answer: More than 80)
- Do you know what the freight classification (freight class#) is on the primary product you ship to customers?
(Answer: If not, you should!)
- True or False: The published tariffs for UPS, DHL & FedEx are the same.
- What is the difference between UPS Commodity Tier 6 and Tier 7 pricing?
(Answer: Tier 6 is approximately 8% lower than Tier 7 rates for Ground Hundredweight)
- True or False: A UPS “Delivery Area Surcharge” is assessed on 25,000 out of the 45,000 domestic zip codes.
- To determine billable weight, when does dimensional weight apply to ground packages?(Answer: all packages)
- True or False: An address correction charge is only assessed if it affects the delivery time.
- Is DHL better known for its domestic or international services?
- True or False: A carrier will systematically issue a credit for the cost of freight on a guaranteed service package that is delivered late.
- What does NMFC stand for?
(Answer: National Motor Freight Classification)
- What are the formulas used in determining dimensional weight for domestic and international packages?
(Answer: Domestic: LxWxH/166 ; International: LxWxH/139)
- When can you re-negotiate a carrier contract?
(Answer: Anytime you want)
- Does Freight Class 60 have a higher or lower cubic density than Freight Class 100?
- Which is the faster UPS international service: Worldwide Saver or Worldwide Expedited?
- True of False: UPS Next Day Early AM (8:00am delivery) can be twice as expensive as Next Day Air Saver (End of Day delivery). (Answer: True - for packages 10 lbs or less)How did you do? Still have a few things to learn about freight consulting?
How did you do?
For more information about the facts above or anything else related to small package freight, contact us.